This is the Frequently Asked Questions page of EDMdesigner.com
Here you can find answers to common questions that people have about our software. In case you stumbled onto this page without a comprehensive knowledge of our product, please click on the EDMdesigner.com link in the navigation bar to get back to the home page.
If you don’t find an answer to your question here, or if you need more info, contact support AT edmdesigner.com.
What should I do if I encounter problems with the APP / API?
- Give yourself a pat on the shoulder, as looking up this collection of Frequntly Asked Questions is the very first step of troubleshooting. ;) You might find your question has already been answered here.
- You should send an email to support AT edmdesigner.com, if you can’t find the answer to your question here.
How can I fix a template if it is not displaying as expected?
- First you can try simplifying the design, and also use box elements and multicolumns for better structure. This solves most display problems.
- When simple modifications are not enough to fix display imperfections, you can provide us with the exported HTML and JSON (for API users) from your project, as well as the projectID — without those, we cannot investigate. It is also useful to provide screenshots and information about the web client, operating system and the device type (for mobiles devices) on which the error occured.
- You should also drop a line to support AT edmdesigner.com for more information and when you think your case should not be shared publicly.
How can I generate an access token to use API functionalities?
First of all, you will need an API key and a corresponding magic word to generate an access token. You can manage your API keys and magic words on our dashboard. If you do not have any of those, you should register on our website to get one.
After that, the process is an HTTP POST from your server to one of our API endpoints’ /api/token route with the following data in the request body:
id - one of your API keys uid - your user’s id ip - ipv4 address of your client ts - a timestamp (now) hash - hash = md5(API_KEY + ipv4 + timestamp + magic)
If everything goes well, our server will return a JSON object containing a token property, which is the access token. If there is a problem in the request, then the response’s status code may be 403, and the response object will contain an error message.
It’s important to bear in mind that you need the username and a valid access token provided in every request you make to our API endpoints. Without these you can’t make operations through our API. The access tokens are valid for one day, so if your session’s lifetime is more than that, you will need to regenerate the tokens. For project handling you can use User level access tokens, and for user handling you need Admin level access tokens.
The whole process is detailed in our documentation in the authentication section.
Why am I receiving 403 error messages?
In the APP, 403 error is usually received when you lose connection or you are logged out. Try pressing ctrl+shift+r (⌘+shift+r on Mac) to refresh the page. You may need to login again since your session expired.
In the API integration, 403 forbidden status usually means that there is something wrong with your token. Please make sure that you use a valid token. You can generate tokens as it’s described in the API documentation. Every token must be renewed after one day.
What is the role of the templater user in the API? How does it work?
There is a special user type bound to the every API key — the templater. This user can’t be deleted. It is useful to set default templates to all users of the given API key. If you upload a template to the templater user, then every user of that API key will receive that template. You can either upload templates to the templater programmatically or through the API dashboard.
Why is the preview/test email different in a third-party service provider from EDMdesigner’s App preview?
If the end result looks different from the preview of EDMdesigner’s App, then it’s almost 100% sure that the HTML changed after leaving our product. For example, if you export the template from our editor in ZIP format, and upload it to a third-party email service, during the import the HTML may get modified. That results in different look in the end. The best workaround is to export the HTML itself and paste it in the third-party provider’s WYSIWYG editor. This way the HTML probably will not be changed.
I integrated through EDMdesigner API a long time ago and it used to work fine, but it is not working correctly now. Am I using the correct version of the API and API JS?
Our API endpoints are the followings:
Previous API endpoints are terminated from 31st of January 2017.
The recommended method for making requests to the API endpoints is through the JS API, which has the failover mechanism built-in, and enables you to have most of the implementation on the client side. At the moment, our JS API’s dependency is jQuery (v1.3 or later). It’s only because of the convenient ajax requests, but probably we will change it to native ajax in the near future.
How do I download a template from one user and upload it to another one?
The steps are as follows:
- Login to the dashboard
- Choose an API key
- List the users by the selected API key
- Search for an actual user (you need to know the user ID)
- List the templates of the needed user
- Export the needed template in JSON format
- List the user by API key again
- Search for the users where you want to copy the template (you need to know the user ID)
- Paste in the JSON to the text area
The images my users upload in the editor are not shown.
There may be several causes, but the most frequent can be:
- The image links you provided are broken or refer to a previously moved/deleted images
- You did not set up the gallery upload routes on the server-side implementation you made
The first point can be fixed by providing a valid URL or re-uploading the moved/deleted images.
In the second case, you need to setup the gallery upload routes. You may want to look up the documentation first:
You can find example implementations of uploading and deleting images in one of our public github repos:
Do I have to update my editor version to use the latest generator features?
No, the generator is updated automatically, as a part of our service. You don’t need to change your editor version to use the latest generator release.
Can I use both HTTP and HTTPS methods for the API calls?
Yes, HTTP and HTTPS are equally accepted by all of the API endpoints.
How do I add special elements in the dashboard to be available for the APP users?
This video shows you where you can find special elements, like “code elements”.
I have issues with the traslation of editor text labels (localization issue) / there are editor components (like buttons) that are not displaying.
- Please send an email to support AT edmdesigner.com with a detailed description of the problem.
I am using Interspire Email Marketer. What is the best way for the integration?
Here’s everything necessary for the addon installation:
- Previous files should be overwritten. If it doesn’t work, the previous folder can be deleted and the install started from scratch. You will need credentials for a successful installation. If you do not have an API Key and a corresponding magic word, please send your request to “roland AT edmdesigner.com”.
Properly setup PDO is required for the Addon to run. Proper PDO setup info
Latest Addon files are available here.
The user Guide helps you with the installation of the software; in version 1.4 you don’t need to choose the “server” location
API key: YOUR_API_KEY Magic word: your_alfanumeric_magic Language: en
You may find additional information in the README.md file of the project